Heat Wave conditions can result in physiological strain, which could even result in death. To minimize the impact during the heat wave and to prevent serious ailment or death because of heat stroke, the following measures are useful:
- Listen to Radio, watch TV, read News paper for local weather forecast to know if a heat wave is on the way.
- Drink sufficient water and as often as possible, even if not thirsty .
- Wear lightweight, light-coloured, loose fitting and porous cotton clothes. Use protective goggles, umbrella, pagri/dupatta/hat, shoes or chappals while going out in sun.
- While travelling, carry water with you.
- If you work outside, use a hat or an umbrella and also use a damp cloth on your head, neck, face and limbs.
- Use ORS (oral rehydration solution), hom emade drinks like lassi, lemon water, buttermilk, etc. which help to re-hydrate the body.
- Recognize the signs of heat stroke, heat rash or heat cramps such as weakness, dizziness, headache, nausea, sweating and seizures. If you feel faint or ill, see a doctor immediately.
- Keep animals in shade and give them plenty of water to drink.
- Keep your home cool. Use curtains, shutters or sunshade during day. Open windows at night.
- Use fans, damp clothing and take bath in cold water frequently.
- Provide cool drinking water near work place.
- Caution workers to avoid direct sunlight.
- Schedule strenuous jobs to cooler times of the day.
- Increase the frequency and length of rest breaks for outdoor activities.
- Pregnant workers and workers with a medical condition should be given additional attention.
- Do not panic.
- Do not leave children or pets in parked vehicles.
- Avoid going out in the sun, especially between 12.00 noon and 3.00 p.m.
- Avoid wearing dark, heavy or tight clothing.
- Avoid strenuous activities when the outside temperature is high. Avoid working outside between 12 noon and 3 p.m.
- Avoid cooking during peak hours. Open doors and windows to ventilate cooking area adequately.
- Avoid alcohol, tea, coffee and carbonated soft drinks, which dehydrate the body.
- Avoid high-protein food and do not eat stale food.